Debra Lee Blocker happens to be the daughter of none other than Dan Blocker. You might recognize that name – Dan Blocker, Debra’s father, was more than just a person; he was a multifaceted individual. A veteran of the Korean War, he also left his mark in the world of American television as an actor of great renown. The character that etched his name into the annals of television history was Hoss Cartwright, a beloved figure from the enduring NBC Western series titled Bonanza.
Debra Lee Blocker: Profile Summary
|Name||Debra Lee Blocker|
|Famous as||daughter of Dan Blocker|
|Date of Birth||1953|
|Birthplace||United States of America|
|Age (as in 2021)||68 years old|
|Parents||Dan Blocker – Father
Dolphia Parker – Mother
|Siblings||Danna Lynn Blocker, David Blocker, Dirk Blocker|
Debra Lee Blocker, born in 1953, shares her birth year with her twin sister, Danna Lynn Blocker. The daughter of the famed actor Dan Blocker and Dolphia Parker, she’s set to turn 71 in 2024. In the Blocker family, Debra is one of four siblings, alongside her twin sister Danna Lynn, David Blocker, and Dirk Blocker.
How did Debra Lee Blocker’s parents meet?
Dolphia Parker, Debra’s mother, crossed paths with Dan Blocker during their time at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas. Their union led to marriage on August 25, 1952. This partnership lasted until Dan Blocker’s unfortunate passing in May 1972. Their family expanded to include four children. Remarkably, Debra’s brothers continued the family’s presence in the entertainment industry. One of her siblings, Dirk Blocker, followed in their father’s acting footsteps. From portraying pilot Jerry Bragg on “Baa Baa Black Sheep” (1976-1978) to his role as Detective Michael Hitchcock on “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (2013-2021), Dirk made his mark.
Debra’s other brother, David Blocker, ventured into film production. His work on “Don King: Only in America” earned him an Emmy in 1998. In contrast, Debra Lee pursued her passion as a painter.
How did Dan Blocker die?
The untimely demise of Debra Lee Blocker’s father, Dan Blocker, was attributed to a pulmonary embolism that occurred post gallbladder surgery at Daniel Freeman Hospital on May 13, 1972. He was just 43 years old. Medical reports stated that “Blocker went into the hospital for gall bladder surgery, developed a blood clot in his lung, and died.” His final resting place lies within a family plot at Woodmen Cemetery in De Kalb, Texas. An unassuming gravestone bears the inscription “B. Dan D. Blocker,” marking his shared grave with family members including his parents and sister.
The impact of Dan Blocker’s passing reached the show “Bonanza,” where the writers made an unprecedented decision to incorporate a character’s death into the storyline. This move broke new ground in television history. The exact details of Blocker’s demise were not addressed in the series, but in the subsequent show “Bonanza: The Next Generation,” a character mentions that “Hoss drowned trying to save another man’s life.”
FAQS About Debra Lee Blocker
- Who is Debra Lee Blocker?
- Debra Lee Blocker is the daughter of the famous actor Dan Blocker and Dolphia Parker. She is also a twin sister and has siblings named Danna Lynn Blocker, David Blocker, and Dirk Blocker.
- How did Dan Blocker die?
- Dan Blocker died from a pulmonary embolism following gallbladder surgery at Daniel Freeman Hospital on May 13, 1972, at the age of 43.
- What did Dirk Blocker, Debra’s brother, do in the entertainment industry?
- Dirk Blocker followed his father’s acting legacy, appearing in TV shows like “Baa Baa Black Sheep” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”
- Who were the parents of Debra Lee Blocker’s mother, Dolphia Parker?
- Debra’s mother, Dolphia Parker, met her husband, Dan Blocker, while they were attending Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas.
- Why did “Bonanza” writers incorporate a character’s death into the storyline?
- The writers of “Bonanza” made history by addressing a major character’s death in the show’s storyline following Dan Blocker’s passing.
- What did David Blocker, Debra’s brother, achieve in his career?
- David Blocker, Debra’s brother, became a film producer and won an Emmy for his work on “Don King: Only in America.”
- Where is Dan Blocker buried?
- Dan Blocker’s ashes were interred in a family plot at Woodmen Cemetery in De Kalb, Texas.
The legacy of the Blocker name endures in Hollywood, largely due to the achievements of Debra Lee Blocker’s two brothers in the entertainment realm. Their choice to continue their father’s artistic path ensures that Dan Blocker’s influence lives on.